Skip to main content

Episode 3 - The Call


“Jake where are you? Something has happened and I need your assistance ASAP.” Sophia’s voice sounded very disturbed over the phone, very unlike her.

“Calm down. What’s the problem? Just tell me.”

“I can’t do it over the phone. I will tell you in person when we meet at my house. Bring your car Jake and hurry up. I need you here as soon as possible. Don’t be late as usual. Kevin is already on his way and”

Jake interrupts her “why does Kevin have to be there? You know I don’t really like him.”

Sophia responds with urgency in her voice “Jake I do not have time for who you like or who you do not like. I trust the two of you and I need you both for this to work. Now get over here, please don’t keep me waiting.” The line goes dead.

That was about 30 minutes ago and now both Kevin and Jake were sitting in Sophia’s house as they waited for her come out of the other room where she was having a conversation with someone on the line and tell them why they were both here. The silence between them was uncomfortable.

“Okay, thank you for coming, we don’t have much time. I need you both to drive down to this location.” Sophia says as she walks out of the other room and hands them a piece of paper with two addresses on it. “Pick up the package and take it over to the second address where you will drop it. You will have someone waiting to pick up the package and then he will give you a check which you are to bring back here.”

“Hold on Sophia, this does not make any sense. Are you going to elaborate on why we should do this?” Kevin speaks up.

Jake chips in “I have to agree with him Sophia. What is all this about? What are you not telling us?”

Sophia breaks down into tears and slumps into the chair beside her and continues to sob. Both Jake and Kevin just stand barely believing their eyes as they see one of their best friends cry for the first time ever. This must be very serious for her to be like this, they both thought.

Kevin speaks up first before Jake could “You don’t have to tell us Sophia. I will go right now even if Jake is not going.”

“Yes Sophia, you don’t have to tell us. It’s alright, just stop crying. We are going now.”

“Thanks guys.” Sophia cleans her eyes and composes herself. “Thanks, but I think you both should know what you are doing for me. The reason I chose the two of you to do this is because I trust the two of you more than anyone of my friends. I just found out that my dad owes a lot of money to some very terrible people. It is bad, these men have forced him into hiding and they are now threatening to come after my family because they can’t find him.”

Jake and Kevin remain quiet and just listen.

“He has made contact with us and explained that there is a friend of his that is willing to loan the money to him and in return he has to help him deliver something. Which is where you both come in, I just got off the phone with my brother and he has contacted my father’s friend and has guaranteed that both parties are ready. The only problem is the drop has to be made today. All you have to do is to take the package to my father’s friend and collect the money from him.”

“I have a question.” Jake says “Why can’t one person go? Why both of us? It does not seem like there would be any problem with only one person going.”

Sophia shakes her head “The friend does not want one person to go because the people who have the package will not release it to only one person due to the sensitivity of the package. They want two people who are not close so they can monitor each other and no one can run off with it. I don’t know the whole details but he specifically requested for two males who are not related to my father to do this.”

Kevin and Jake looked at each other and uttered “we will do it.” Jake continued “For you and the safety of your family. We will do it because you will do the same for us if we were in your situation.”

“Thank you both.” Sophia stands up from the chair and hugs them both. “It is really good to have people you can count on.” Steps back, looks at both of them with a serious look on her face “We don’t have much time. We have to leave now.”

They head out together with Kevin gripping the paper containing the addresses in his hand. Jake opens the car and Kevin jumps into the passenger seat and sits there quietly. Jake takes one final look at Sophia and feels the same feeling that he had when he was at the airport in London.

“Be back in no time Sophia. See you real soon and don’t worry about us.” Jake shouts it out as he fires up the engine. He smiles and waves to Sophia as he drives off with Kevin sitting quietly beside him.