Skip to main content

Episode 1 - The Beginning


Coventry,

United Kingdom.

1991

Jake sits down inside a restaurant called shrimpers, known for its name because of the incredible shrimps that are served there arguably the best in the whole country. He is surrounded by friends chatting about the game that was played yesterday between Manchester United and Arsenal. But all that does not concern him, because his eyes are glued on a girl that goes by the name of Alexia. The girl in his school he has crushed on for the past one year of his average university life. One of his friends noticing his lack of involvement in the conversation breaks his gaze by waving her hand in front of his eyes.

“Why don’t you just go and talk to her?”

Jake inhales deeply and says “If only it were that simple.”

Cindy instantly replies “It is. You are just afraid of the outcome, which you should not be. She will like you as we all do.”

“I know but she is so above my class.” Jake says as he resumes his stare.

Cindy makes a retort to the disgust of Jake as she springs up from her chair and walks towards Alexia. Before Jake could even utter a word, she was talking to Alexia and pointing to Jake while she spoke. All this happened within a minute, Jake just watched them both as they spoke and then Cindy signals him to come by waving him over. Jake not wanting to be rude waves back and heads towards them.

“Jake meet Alexia and Alexia meet the wonderful Jake I have been telling you all about” Cindy says with a big smile on her face and without waiting for a response, she turns and heads back towards her friends.

“Hi, I have heard so much about you in the last one minute.” Alexia says as she pulls a chair for Jake to sit on.

“What have you heard about me?”

She tosses her hair back and flashes a grin. “The usual, like how you have been crushing on me for the last two years. Why you have not stepped up to me and told me is beyond me? However, I know whatever your reasons are, they are good”.

He just sits there amazed at her confidence “There are many reasons but talking to you right now makes all of them useless. I should have come to talk to you a while back but I was not sure how you would receive me. But that’s all in the past now, I have not formally introduced myself to you. My name is Jake Ashburn.”

“It is nice to finally meet you Jake Ashburn. My name is Alexia Satton but you can call me Alex.” She says, as she stretches her hands to meet his.

Their handshake marked the beginning of a relationship that lasted for the next two years. Both Alexia and Jake graduated from Coventry University with dreams of conquering the world and achieving so much. Alexia quickly finds a job working as a junior assistant in one of the firms that her affluent father sits on the board of. Jake decides to further his studies by going for a master’s degree in the United States of America. The decision was not an easy one to make but Jake believes that he needs to do this in order to be able to take care of Alexia and give her the life she deserved. He knew it was a good decision for their future with Alexia having to agree with him.

Heathrow Airport, London

“Make sure you take care of yourself for me. No looking at other women, you are mine Jake Ashburn, you are mine alone.” Alexia says as she holds on to him and kisses his neck.

“I know Alex. I will call you once I get there. Take care of yourself also. It is only two years and I will be back in no time. Once am back, you will be Mrs. Ashburn. You have my word my dear.” Jake says as he holds on tightly to her.

Jake carries his backpack and starts to head towards the departure terminal. Looks back and waves at Alexia mouthing off “It’s only going to be two years.” He walks straight ahead reassuring himself that it was only indeed going to be two years and then he would be back and he will have the woman of his dreams as his wife. But there was a feeling hovering over him that indicated that things would not go according to plan. He waves off that feeling and keeps reassuring himself. ‘It’s only two years’.